Summer is slowly fading away, and of course with that the season changes, tilting the earth a bit further away from the sun, and bringing all the things that people like about fall. Football, cooler weather, and the changing of nature. That’s a few things, but what about food? Comfort food I’m talking about. This recipe is amazing and will be a great addition to any meal or football game side. Its Gouda Bacon Mac and Cheese, and this will comfort every bone in your body. Here is the recipe. Enjoy!
Gouda Bacon Macaroni and Cheese
yield: SERVES 10-12
prep time: 25 MINUTES
cook time: 25 MINUTES
Nothing says comfort food like homemade Macaroni and Cheese! The gouda adds a creamy tang while the baconadds a nice salty, smoked flavor! Try this at your next family dinner!
- 16oz elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 2 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 2 tsp worcestershire
- 1lb smoked gouda cheese, shredded
- 1/2 lb sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 5 slices bread (about 2cups crumbs)
- 3 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1/2 cup bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Prepare macaroni according to package directions. Set aside.
- In large pot, melt butter over medium high heat. Add skim milk and bring to near boiling. Reduce heat to medium and sprinkle in flour. Whisk vigorously over medium heat for 1-2 minutes. Mixture should be thick and boiling. Slowly add cream, while whisking. Add in salt, pepper, mustard and worcestershire sauce. Reduce heat to low and continue to stir for about 5 minutes.
- In food processor, shred Gouda and Cheddar cheese. Add to pot, stir until thoroughly combined.
- Add cooked macaroni to cheese mixture. Pour into a 13×9 dish.
- In same food processor bowl (no need to wash it after shredding the cheese), process 5 slices of bread to a fine crumb. Add melted butter. Sprinkle over macaroni. Top with crumbled bacon.
- Bake uncovered in a 375 degree oven for 25-30 minutes.ENJOY!